Genetic Evaluation and Counseling for Cancer
What happens during genetic evaluation for cancer?
Genetics evaluation and counseling with a genetics professional involves an analysis of an individual’s personal and family history to determine the risk for a hereditary cancer syndrome. Typically, this evaluation involves a genetic counselor or physician (a geneticist or an oncologist) with specialized training in medical genetics. During this appointment, the genetics professional will discuss.
- Your personal and medical history and cancer screening history
- Your family history of cancer
- Risk assessment for a hereditary cancer syndrome
- Appropriate genetic testing options based on your history
- Benefits and limitations of genetic testing