General Radiology (X-Ray, Fluoroscopy)
Preparing for Your General Radiology Exam
Please leave any personal belongings (jewelry, glasses, etc.) at home when having an outpatient exam performed at any of our facilities to avoid misplacement.
- For x-rays of the chest, abdomen, spine or extremities: No special preparation is necessary.
- For a barium swallow: Do not eat after midnight before the exam. You may take routine medications with a sip of water before the exam.
- For a barium enema: Obtain Miralax 255g (1 bottle), available at most pharmacies, 2 days prior to your exam. Mix with 64 ounces of clear liquid. Drink 8 ounces every 10 to 15 minutes over 2 hours starting at 6pm, the evening prior to your exam.
- For a small bowel series: Do not eat after midnight before your exam.
- For an upper GI series: Do not eat after midnight before your exam.