Outpatient Rehabilitation at the Vanderbilt Rehabilitation Center
Get Back to The Activities You Love
For decades, The Vanderbilt Rehabilitation Center has been southern New England’s source for comprehensive outpatient rehabilitation services. With our program, you will have a knowledgeable team of professionals who are prepared to provide one-on-one, individualized assessment and therapy to help you restore lost function or reduce pain.
Along with a dedicated team of support staff, the Vanderbilt Rehabilitation outpatient therapy team includes licensed physical therapists and physical therapy assistants, occupational therapists, and speech language pathologists. They work together to provide care for all people who require physical rehabilitation—children, adolescents, and adults of any age.
The outpatient rehabilitation program at Vanderbilt Rehabilitation Center is conveniently located on the first floor of Newport Hospital's Turner Building, immediately to the left of the main lobby at the Powel Avenue entrance.
At the Vanderbilt Rehabilitation Center, we offer outpatient rehabilitation services to patients of specific Newport Hospital and Lifespan Physician Group service lines. After talking with your doctor about a referral to outpatient therapy, please call 401-845-1845 to make an appointment.
You must be referred to the outpatient therapy program by your physician. Your doctor's office can fax a referral to us at 401-848-6043, or give you a prescription to bring to your first appointment.
Outpatient Rehabilitation Programs
Following an initial assessment, our multidisciplinary therapy team draws from a variety of treatment techniques to help each patient progress.
- Balance retraining
- Cognitive treatment
- Developmental activities
- Gait training
- Manual lymphatic drainage
- Manual therapy
- Modalities to lessen acute pain and inflammation
- Neuromuscular re-education
- Patient and caregiver education
Common Conditions Requiring Outpatient Therapy
- Back and neck pain
- Balance and vestibular disorders
- Cumulative trauma disorders, such as arthritis/tendonitis/bursitis
- Joint replacements
- Neurological disorders, such as stroke, Parkinson's disease, and multiple sclerosis
- Orthopedic injuries
- Pregnancy-related issues, such as back pain and carpal tunnel syndrome
- Peripheral neuropathies
- Spinal conditions (pre- and post-surgical)
- Sports injuries
- Swallowing dysfunction
- Tendon repair
- Women's health, such as urinary incontinence and lymphedema
- Prosthetics and orthotics training
- Self-care retraining
- Soft tissue and joint mobilization
- Therapeutic exercise
- Voice training
Specialty Programs under the Direction of Our Physiatrists
- Orthotics and prosthetics clinic
- Falls prevention program
- Programs specifically for women
- Arthritis exercise program
- Social communication group
- Osteoporosis management program
Our orthotics and prosthetics clinic specializes in custom-made orthotics and prosthetics. It also provides a variety of medical-surgical equipment, including crutches, walkers, splints, pre-fabricated orthotics, cervical collar, and lumbar/sacral orthoses.
For more information, call 401-845-1652.
A Newport local recovered from hip replacement with help from Vanderbilt Rehabilitation.
- Outpatient Rehabilitation at the Vanderbilt Rehabilitation Center
- Outpatient Rehabilitation Treatment Methods
- Conditions We Treat
- Specialty Programs
- Outpatient Rehabilitation Team
- Contact Us for Outpatient Rehabilitation Services
- Outpatient Rehabilitation Frequently Asked Questions
- Physical Therapy Helps Surfer Get Back on the Board
- Pelvic Rehabilitation Patient Form