- 2 15-ounce cans of black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 15-ounce can of pinto beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 28-ounce can of diced tomatoes, with their juices
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 ribs of celery, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, chopped fine
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- Salt, to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- Lime juice, to taste
Yields: Four to six servings Time: About one hour
In a heavy-bottomed pot, warm the extra virgin olive oil over medium heat, until shimmering.
Add in bell pepper, carrot, chopped onion, celery, and a pinch of sea salt. Stir to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about seven to ten minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
Add in paprika, oregano, chili powder, cumin, and garlic. Cook about one minute, stirring constantly.
Once pot is fragrant, add in diced tomatoes, their juices, the pinto and black beans, and low-sodium vegetable broth. Add a bay leaf for flavor. Stir to mix and simmer. Cook the mixture gently for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to maintain a gentle simmer. Remove chili from heat. Remove bay leaf from pot.
In a blender, mix 1 1/2 cups of chili, taking care to get some of the liquid. Blend until smooth and pour back into the pot.
Add cilantro and stir to blend. Add lime juice to taste before enjoying.
Find a Doctor
The right provider is in our network
Search more than 1,200 providers in our network.