The Miriam Hospital
A tradition of superior patient care

Support Services at The Miriam Hospital

Interpreter Services

Interpreters are available to assist non-English speaking patients or to provide sign language to patients who are hearing impaired. There is no charge for interpreter services. Learn more »

Clinical Social Work Services

A clinical social worker (master’s degree level)  is available for crisis intervention and to help you and your family cope with your illness. If you would like to meet with a clinical social worker, please ask your nurse or call 401-793-2085 (internally dial ext. 3-2085). There is no charge for clinical social work services.

Spiritual Care

The Miriam Hospital Chapel

A non-denominational chapel is always open for meditation and prayer. It is located on the first floor, near the emergency unit. If you would like privacy, feel free to close the door to the chapel. Please leave the door open when you leave the chapel.

Arrange a Spiritual Care or Clergy Visit

An interfaith chaplain is on staff at The Miriam Hospital. If you would like a spiritual care visit, please call 401-793-5654 (internally dial ext. 3-5654) or ask your nurse or unit secretary to page the interfaith chaplain.

If you would like a clergy member from your church or synagogue to visit you in the hospital and you are not able to arrange that on your own, please talk to your nurse about arranging a visit.

Shabbat Entrance and Kosher Meals

Out of respect for our Jewish patients and visitors, a Shabbat entrance located at the side of the main lobby that can be accessed by a walkway from the main entrance or from the entrance on 7th Street. Locally prepared kosher food is available. If you keep kosher, please indicate this to your nurse upon admission.

If you would like electric Shabbat candlesticks, a prayer book or a Bible, please ask your nurse or call the spiritual care department at 401-793-5654.

Multifaith Spiritual Care Services

A Catholic chaplain is available for sacraments and can be contacted through your nurse or the unit secretary. Eucharistic ministers administer communion on a daily basis. A Eucharistic minister will automatically visit if you indicated upon admission that you are Catholic. However, if a Eucharistic minister does not visit you and you would like to receive communion, please call 401-793-5656 (internally dial ext. 3-5656).

If you are Protestant and would like to receive communion, please call the interfaith chaplain at 401-793-5654 (internally dial ext. 3-5654). The chaplain will arrange for one of the on-call Protestant clergy from the community to visit.