Rhode Island Hospital Awards and Accreditations
Founded in 1863, Rhode Island Hospital is a private, not-for-profit hospital and is the principal teaching hospital of The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University. A major trauma center for southeastern New England, the hospital is dedicated to being on the cutting edge of medicine and research. It is home to Hasbro Children’s Hospital, the state’s only facility dedicated to pediatric care.
Rhode Island Hospital has received numerous awards for clinical excellence. These include being named a Blue Distinction Center by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Rhode Island for cardiac care, spine surgery, complex and rare cancers, and knee and hip replacement services. Its Cardiothoracic Intensive Care Unit was awarded a Beacon designation by the American Association for Critical Care Nursing for excellence in clinical care.
Featured Awards and Recognition
- In 2022, Rhode Island Hospital became an Age Friendly Health System that participates in a national movement to improve care for older adults.
- The American Heart Association/American Stroke Association recognized Rhode Island Hospital, the only comprehensive stroke center in the state, with a Get With The Guidelines - Stroke Gold Plus award in 2022 including the Stroke Honor Roll Elite with Advanced Therapy Achievement Target, and the Type 2 Diabetes Honor Roll. Receiving the Gold Plus award means that RIH continues to reach an aggressive goal of treating patients with 85 percent or higher compliance to core standard levels of care outlined by the AHA for 24 consecutive months or more. This award honors the hospital’s commitment to ensuring stroke patients receive the most appropriate, leading-edge treatment, as quickly as possible, in accordance with nationally recognized, evidence-based guidelines. Timely treatment critically influences patient outcomes. In 2018, Rhode Island Hospital was awarded the "Gold-Plus" quality achievement award and “Target: Stroke Honor Roll Elite Plus” award.
- The Antimicrobial Stewardship Program at Rhode Island Hospital was designated in 2021 as a Center of Excellence by the Infectious Diseases Society of America.
- Rhode Island Hospital was designated a Blue Distinction Center + for Cardiac Care and a Blue Distinction Center for Cancer Care. The Blue Cross Blue Shield Association recognizes health care facilities across the nation that demonstrate expertise in delivering quality specialty care.
- Our greatest reward is caring for our patients. That’s why we’re committed to turning treatment guidelines into lifelines. The Comprehensive Stroke Center at RIH has reached an aggressive goal of treating patients with 85 percent or higher compliance to core standard levels of care as outlined by the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association for two consecutive calendar years. In addition, we have demonstrated 75 percent compliance to (seven out of ten stroke quality measures) during the 12-month period.
- The Cardiothoracic Intensive Care Unit at Rhode Island Hospital was given the silver designation of the Beacon Award for Excellence by the American Association for Critical Care Nursing in 2021. It is one of only 40 cardiothoracic ICUs to achieve this level or recognition.
- Rhode Island Hospital was named to the list of “50 Top Cardiovascular Hospitals 2019” by IBM Watson Health. Selected based on a study that analyzed key performance metrics, including survival rates, complications, length of stay, cost, and readmission rates, the hospital earned the distinction along with just two others in New England. Rhode Island Hospital has now made this list five times and is the only hospital in the state in the rankings.
- Rhode Island Hospital was recognized in the 2018 U.S. News & World Report annual review of Best Regional Hospitals as a “high performer” in the areas of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and heart failure.
- In spring 2018, Rhode Island Hospital earned an "A" grade for hospital safety from The Leapfrog Group for the fifth consecutive time.
- Rhode Island Hospital received a Top Teaching Hospital distinction from The Leapfrog Group in 2016, one of 115 Top Hospitals recognized across the country.
- Rhode Island Hospital is one of only 122 hospitals across the country — and the only one in Rhode Island — to receive the Consumer Choice Award from the National Research Corporation for 2015-2016.
- Rhode Island Hospital earned Healthcare Technology Management's Best Practices in Healthcare Technology Management Award in 2012.
- The Lifespan Cancer Institute earned the Outstanding Achievement Award from the American College of Surgeons’ Commission on Cancer in 2013 and 2015.
- The Lifespan Cancer Institute at Rhode Island Hospital was recognized in both 2012 and 2015 by the Quality Oncology Practice Initiative Certification Program for delivering high-quality patient care.
- The Lifespan Cancer Institute sites at Rhode Island Hospital, The Miriam Hospital and Newport Hospital were named to Becker's Hospital Review 2015 “100 Hospitals and Health Systems with Great Oncology Programs.”
- Rhode Island Hospital’s Coop 3 and Hasbro Children’s Hospital Pediatric Intensive Care Unit hold the prestigious Beacon Award for Critical Care Excellence.
- Rhode Island Hospital received Healthcare Equality Index leadership status from the Human Rights Campaign for its commitment to providing the best practices in lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender care.
- Rhode Island Hospital's adult cardiothoracic intensive care unit received its second Beacon Award for Critical Care Excellence in 2012.
- Rhode Island Hospital’s diagnostic imaging department won Healthcare Technology Management’s first Best Practices in Healthcare Technology Management Award in 2012 for establishing and sustaining a culture of safety.
- Only Level I Trauma Center in southeastern New England, verified by the American College of Surgeons.
- Only verified Burn Center in Rhode Island.
- First hospital in state awarded advanced certification as a Comprehensive Stroke Center.
- Pulmonary Hypertension Center holds the Pulmonary Hypertension Association’s Center of Comprehensive Care Accreditation.